Nowadays, the tech space is a very popular field of work or business. This can be because the technology is booming effectively and is available to be used easily.
Considering how popular of a market it has become based on the shift of people that are looking to get into this sector. When you're new to the field, there might be quite a lot of overwhelming information out there and most of the time it just doesn’t make sense or can be contradictory. It can be challenging to filter out information that is useful to you and your journey due to the sheer volume of information available at the click of a button.
Working in the information technology world can be both a fun and rewarding experience but it can also be easily stressful, with a small amount of effort put in beforehand, you can greatly improve your chances of having an enjoyable experience in this field.
There are many areas that you could find yourself working or starting a career in, but some areas are more pleasant than others to work in than others. Although with entering a new industry, it can be challenging to spot some potential "red flags" before accepting a new position or joining a new company
Therefore, we will detail 10 of those choices you have to make, things you should be aware of and keep in mind when working in the tech sector:
- The Tech sector loves innovation and creativity. It loves those who take initiative to solve problems. If you are ready to move to the tech industry, you must be able to match the creativity level and at the same time, you must ensure the organization you are interested in encourages talents and creativity.
- Look out for a kind and friendly community. The company's culture should be inclusive and encourage diversity. You should also see if women are being encouraged to work in tech to balance out the inclusivity they mention.
- Make sure that you are getting paid or being offered a fair wage. But keep in mind that salary isn't everything so if the role is not what you want or the company doesn't align with your goals, then don't compromise your morals. Also, be on the lookout for health insurance benefits as well as other relevant benefits to you e.g., paid leave, pension, work-life balance, etc.
- Look out for opportunities to grow and develop your skills. Career development is important! To keep improving yourself, ask if there are any classes or training sessions that the company offers to help improve yourself.
- Networking is an important part of professional life in the Tech Community. How open is the organization to collaborating with other companies in their field? This will give you an idea of how well you will go in your tech career.
- The company you are interested in must have a warming approach to mistakes. Ensure that the community encourages you to make mistakes, and gives you enough room to learn from them.
- Conduct adequate research on the company's culture. Confirm that it would be a kind and friendly community where you and your work would be respected.
- The company should have an employee support line if they are big enough and if not, they should have a section where you can communicate your displeasures.
- The technology that the company uses should be up-to-date. This is very important because you do not want to work in an environment where nothing works.
- Be mindful and aware of what is going on around you at your workplace because most importantly, you deserve to be safe!
The best way forward when seeking an opportunity in the tech community is to:
1) Do your research: Know what the latest developments in technology are, who is doing it, or leaders in the industry
2) Be an active member of the community: Learn from what you have seen, attend meetups and conferences where you can network with like-minded techies
3) Get involved: Offer your time and service for various freelancing platforms such as Toptal. Start applying for jobs. Also, check out 10 common interview questions for Business Analysts.
While this article is not a guide on how to get a job in tech or a startup, it highlights the requirements and things you should keep an eye out for. It is something to remember when trying to find the right job location.
In conclusion, remember that there are a lot of technologies being released every day, so it is worth paying more attention to each new release. This is because they can help you in filtering your search for companies in tech and also provide you with information about them before you make your final decision. And most importantly, remember to have fun while working!